Monday, June 28, 2010

Cut the Kona...

I decided to start working on my solids quilt. Inspired by this one. I first went with wonky. Can I just say how much my brain hates this! I love the way they look. But I don't enjoy creating them. I'll just have to admire the wonky quilts that other people make. I cut a bunch of odd sized strips and blocks and here's what I came up with. It's wrinkled because it now lives in the scrap bag along with the strips and blocks.


I'm glad I didn't cut all my fabric this way. I cut the rest with nice , even sized, measured strips and blocks. I love symmetry.


I have to draw out my quilts, even just a little, before I start. I can't stand the thought of wasting fabric and spending precious time on something I won't like.


I love these blocks. I have 9 made and I plan on making 80 total. They measure 10 inches. Now the strips are random sizes but they are even. I am having so much fun picking colors for each block. It's total stress free sewing. That's what counts, right?

9 comments:

MandMStudio said...

Very nice blocks. Im totally opposite I never have a pattern or draw out my quilts. I just grab some fabric and go from there.

Sherry said...

I'm in two Flickr swaps and many of the quilters are asking for wonky blocks. I made them but I had a harder time "trying" to be creative than when I just do things the "regular" way. I'm glad to see that I am not the only non-wonky person in quilt world!

Have a lovely day,

Garilyn S said...

I love the colors! I've thought about doing a solids quilt...I'm sold. Your blocks are lovely. I've never tried wonky, not sure if I'd like putting them together or not. I also like writing everything out and not wasting fabric.
Can't wait to see a final layout?

Marge Gordon said...

I like the blocks, and the solids make a striking statement!

Diane said...

sounds like you know what you like-enjoying the process it what's important. The quilt is going to be so pretty.

Stephanie said...

The wonky one looks awesome. You should place randomly inside the quilt it will be an unusual focal point. All the colours you chose work really well together love it!

Jacque. said...

ohboy...you hit it right on the money with this one! I, too, have a difficult time with wonky and random. ohboy. I'm with ya there, for sure! But...am loving this solid colors quilt...those color combos are fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Diane said...

I'm with you! I made some wonky blocks and strugled so with it.... they are parked waiting for me to work up the creative energy :) Love your other blocks.. that will be a beautiful quilt.

Mary said...

Wow, I'm loving your solids quilt! Can't wait to see the finished product!

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...