Friday, December 4, 2009

A Small Finish and a Recovered Ironing Table

I've been working on Christmas gifts lately. I made a throw size quilt for my MIL and when I washed it the red fabric bled into the white sashing. I was so disappointed. I pre-wash all my fabric and I have never had this problem before. I decided to use it under the Christmas tree so I guess it wasn't a complete waste.

I did finish this table runner. I am really happy with it. I think it's so cute. I'll have to make one for myself sometime.


I also recovered my ironing table. Yes, I don't have an ironing board. I don't iron much (except fabric). Is that bad? But I like the recover job, very simple. I was using this. Yup, just a towel on padding on a wooden TV try. Nice, right? But my towel kept coming up on the sides when I was pressing strips.


So I recovered the table with multiple layers of batting and some fabric from my stash. I made a casing around the perimeter of the fabric and ran elastic through it. Voila!

No more shifting underneath when I press my fabric. I'm happy. I do like my tray because it's portable and it sits right next to me as I piece.

I also like my Rowenta iron. I was in desperate need of an iron (mine was spitting out rust). When I was at my local thrift shop I spotted this baby for $3 bucks! I was super jazzed. It was like new. It works great. I'll have to post sometime about my awesome Craig's List Pfaff. Another time.

5 comments:

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Great runner and fabulous find- $3?????? that is so cool! :)

Purple Quilter Queen said...

I've read on someone else's blog that same thing happened about the bleeding fabrics and they used some sort of product that pulls the excess dye out and rewashed their quilt and it pulled all the color from the white parts. Not sure of the name - maybe Dye Magnet? Said they got it at Joanns & Walmart. You might try it and save the quilt. Good Luck! Jenn

Jacque. said...

Erin...try Shout Color Catcher, I think they are. Should be in your grocery store. You could even try rewashing this quilt with one, I think. I do not prewash, but I throw salt in my washing machine with new quilts. Haven't had a problem. Just heard of these things, so will have to get me some.

Love that table runner...simply beautiful!!

Aimee said...

Love the table runner - it's super cute! I use a color catch cloth (Shout, maybe?) in the wash with newly made quilts - it's been good so far. Sorry to hear about your quilt - that is tragic.

Unknown said...

I am a firm believer in Color Catcher.When you do your laundry and take out the color catcher that went in white and is now bright pink, you know you are on to something good. We live part time in a camper and use laudromats a lot. So sorting the laundry is a hit and miss thing. But these things have saved me.

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...